STARS AND STRIPES BASEBALL RULES
Unless noted prior to the event, Modified USSSA Baseball Rules will be used with the following notations.
Stars and Stripes Baseball reserves the right to enforce particular tournament rules
1. Protests shall be allowed for age, pitching violations or rule interpretations only. Protests must be declared to the Umpire and then to the Tournament Director/ Site Director by advising the umpire of the protest and providing $100.00 CASH before the next pitch following the dispute. If a call to be protested is the last recorded out of a game or on a game ending play, the protest MUST be filed prior to the Umpires and the protesting team leaving the field of play. No protest shall be allowed following the game. Tournament officials shall rule on all protests and their decisions shall be final. The fee shall be returned only if the protest is upheld.
2. Game time: Starting time is forfeit time, unless delay is created by STARS AND STRIPES BASEBALL. Have your team ready to play 30 minutes before game start time. Game time starts at completion of coin toss.
3.Home team keeps official score book (must be official score book) with players first and last name and players number, visiting team keeps the score board. ** Please double check the umpire cards before you sign them.**
4. A team may start with a minimum of 8 players (Kid Pitch),(9 coach pitch). 7u- and up- if team starts with 8 players (9 coach pitch)the team must take an out at the vacant batting order position, unless they declare to be visiting team prior to the coin flip. *** Coach pitch teams with only 9 players, must field all positions players with 3 outfield positions***
5. Championship games: Are time limit. Run rule is still in effect.
6. Pitching Rules: Innings per tournament
One day max to pitch next day One (1) Day Max Three (3) Day Max
7u-12u 3 innings / 9 outs 6 innings / 18 outs 8 innings / 24 outs
13u-14u 3 innings / 9 outs 7 innings / 21 outs 8 innings / 24outs
15u-18u TSSAA 10(2-day)
✱ Scorecards must be signed by both team managers to eliminate inning validation problems. (Managers, please help with this process.)
✱ if pitching rules are violated and the infraction is detected, the situation will be reviewed. Consequences may include elimination of a team from the event, coach and/or players ejection.
7. Infield warm-ups – All teams are encouraged to warm-up as much as possible before game time. Uniforms: numbers required, matching uniforms recommended.
8. Baseballs: Teams must provide all game balls. Estimated two new balls and one used ball per game. (Diamond, Rawlings, or other acceptable.) No steel cleats in the following age groups: 8’s, 9’s, 10’s, 11s, 12s. No steel cleats on portable mounds. Uniforms: numbers required, matching uniforms recommended. *** Provide 2 new baseballs at start of game***
9.Tie Breaker System: If a game is tied after all innings have been completed (or at time limit), the “International” tie breaker rule will go into effect. Each team puts the batter who was the last out respective half of the inning on second base (one (1) out, no count) and plays out the inning. This happens until the tie is broken and the game is complete.
10.Teams can bat all players with free substitutions, or bat 9 with a EH (extra hitter). DH can be used in high school games.
11. Bats must be made by a certified manufacture, with a BPF of 1.15 or less, in 14u bats must be drop -5 or heavier. If 14u team choses to play in an age bracket above 14u, the team must use drop -3 or BBCORE. USA Baseball official stamped bats are allowed for USSSA play except where BBCORE is required. If a 13u team is playing in a 13u major 54/80 they must use a -5 or above. All of Stars and Stripes Tournaments, 13u 60/90 all classes, player must swing a -5 or above. Any 13u team that choices to play in a 14u event must swing a -5 or above. In High School divisions all bats must be BBCORE.
12. Rosters must be available upon request by the tournament director/site director. With a copy of the player’s birth certificate, and current picture. If the player is playing with his/her grade not age, you must have a copy of the current report card. Stars and Stripes Baseball can give authority for teams to pick up a player if needed due to illness, injury, vacation etc. (The pickup player must come from a team with the same age or lesser, same classification or lesser classification). Requests to pick up the player must be in writing and approved by the tournament director prior to start of the event. This is only allowed in qualifying tournaments. Note: If a team was to start any tournament with 9 players and a player was to have an injury, become ill or have an emergency where the player can no longer play in the present tournament. The team may pick up one additional player so the team can field 9 players, (10 coach pitch). Requests must be made in writing to the tournament director. If a team violates the roster rules, Consequences may include elimination of a team from the event, coach and/or players ejection. If a team decides to protest the pickup player, the protest must be made after the player receives his first pitch during first at bat.
13. Time Limits
CP- 70 minutes no new inning after 65minute from start time- NO more then 7 runs per inning- Each batter is allowed six pitches or three strikes. If a batter hits a foul ball on the sixth pitch, he or she is allowed one additional pitch. 15 after 3 innings, 12 after 4innings Championship Game- 80mins, no new after 75mins
8u/9u- 80 minutes no new inning after 75minute from start time- 15 after 2 innings, 12 after 3innings, 8 after 4 innings. There is NO slashing (fake bunt, pull back and swing) allowed in 9u-10u. Pitch will be called a strike. This rule is for the safety of the players. Championship Game- 90mins, no new after 85mins
10u- 80 minutes no new inning after 75minute from start time- 15 after 2 innings, 12 after 3innings, 8 after 4 innings. There is NO slashing (fake bunt, pull back and swing) allowed in 9u-10u. Pitch will be called a strike. This rule is for the safety of the players. Championship Game- 90mins, no new after 85mins
11u- 90 minutes no new inning after 85 minute from start time- 15 after 2 innings, 12 after 3innings, 8 after 4 innings. Championship Game- 100mins, no new after 95mins
12u- 90 minutes no new inning after 85 minute from start time- 15 after 2 innings, 12 after 3innings, 8 after 4 innings. Championship Game- 100mins, no new after 95mins
13u- 95 minutes no new inning after 90 minute from start time- 12 after 3innings, 8 after 4 innings. Championship Game- 105mins, no new after 100mins
14u- 100minutes no new inning after 95 minutes from start time- 12 after 3innings, 8 after 4 innings. Championship Game- 105mins, no new after 100mins
Seeds are determined after pool play, if you are seeded to play a team you played in pool play, seeds may be flipped (POOL PLAY PROTECTION)
If a pitcher wears a sleeve it must be all one color and can not be white.
Slash bunting is not allowed in 9u or 10u. It is a safety issue, batter will be called out.
If a batter throws his bat, he will be warned the first offense, second offense the batter is out.
14. If a team drops out of a tournament after the schedule has been posted, the team may be required to prepay for the next tournament that they would like to enter.
15. Tournament Director shall have final decision on all tournament questions and rules.
High School games are played by TSSAA rules